Thursday, April 19, 2012

State of the MUT Economy

While it is a lot of fun, this promo had completely effed the economy of this game.

As I pointed out in a previous thread, even prior to this promo, rare cards were selling for about 80% of what they were worth. Now look at the AH. It is flooded with rares, making them all virtually worthless. People are selling Gold Ed Reeds, Asos, Vernon Davises and tons of others for pennies on the dollar.

This influx of valuable cards into a system where people weren't buying for retail price anyway has created a serious problem. After this promotion ends Monday morning and we've all blown through our coins, what then?

The answer is simple: We're supposed to throw MORE cash at EA to buy more coins. We obviously can't earn them through playing games and now that selling cards is pretty much impossible, there is pretty much no other option.

As someone who has never purchased a single coin in this game, I'm not about to start now. As such, MUT may be over for me. I'm not saying this as a butt-hurt consumer, as I got plenty of great cards during this promo. But the fact is that people who don't put money in can only do so much. Now that selling has been greatly reduced, I don't see any other way than to throw cash at Looman and EA.

I haven't decided how I'll go forward from here. But as a pretty active member of this community, despite how much fun and excitement this promo has given me, I cannot help but think it is bad for the average user of MUT, especially after Plat Xmas ends.|||I also think this has been a bit much...I am kind of split on it though...after all it is xmas, and even though the AH is flooded now things change rather quickly...

I thing we can all agree that Insert Taylor was a mistake to have during a promo...that card will be found on the AH forever now I think...everyone has one...


I haven't seen an Aso yet though...maybe I need to keep looking|||this happened after the last plat night, two ultimate weekends, etc. it all comes back. while some cards may never fetch the overcharge they were, the rares will still be rare and people will wantthem. when no one's pulling packs and getting ngata's, etc, those who got one, who are now coin depleted and trying to find the new collection cards, will sell the ngata and thus the cycle will recover.

don't get me wrong, we'll go through a period of nothing, at least until the next collection, which these are how we'll get more coins.|||he did good by not putting any Suh 2.0s in plat packs though...or there would be 8 pages of Mayo rookies and another 300k in everyone's hands...


one of the biggest issues is the 2.0 coach collection...everyone has probably done that 100 times over on a million accounts...that was a FAIL|||


this happened after the last plat night, two ultimate weekends, etc. it all comes back. while some cards may never fetch the overcharge they were, the rares will still be rare and people will wantthem. when no one's pulling packs and getting ngata's, etc, those who got one, who are now coin depleted and trying to find the new collection cards, will sell the ngata and thus the cycle will recover.

don't get me wrong, we'll go through a period of nothing, at least until the next collection, which these are how we'll get more coins.

this is much different than the last one...

this is much more extreme than ANY of them...



some cards will keep thier value though...gold AP, Peyton, Andre, Beason...ect|||


I also think this has been a bit much...I am kind of split on it though...after all it is xmas, and even though the AH is flooded now things change rather quickly...

I thing we can all agree that Insert Taylor was a mistake to have during a promo...that card will be found on the AH forever now I think...everyone has one...


I haven't seen an Aso yet though...maybe I need to keep looking


Insert Taylor was a massive bomb. I'm just as annoyed because Looman told us all that this promo wouldn't even happen. Time and again he said the 12 days of Xmas was ALL that would occur. So many of us planned accordingly.

Then Plat Xmas happened. Again, it was and is a ton of fun. I spent most of Xmas Eve, after my wife went to bed, pulling packs. Got tons of great things.

But, now the problem is where do we go from here? Seeing as almost every card will be able to be acquired cheaply on the AH in the coming days, how are we supposed to even break even, let alone see a return, on the investments we've made?

To me, this is all another big ruse to make us desperate for coins. We'll see these valuable players available cheaply and dash for our CCs. That's nice for people with disposable income to toss away on this game, but I can't afford to. I've got a family to take care of.

Now, of course, nobody forced me to spend my coins this Plat Xmas. That was my decision, and for a lot of the things I got (JT Insert, Leg Asante, Leg Vick x2, Elite Vick, Tony G, Witten, Dallas Clark, MJD, Marshall, Ngata, etc) and what I spent on it (under 1Mil), I'd say those cards WERE worth it. Key word being were.

I don't know how things will shake out from here. But I have a feeling the trends we've seen will continue for awhile. I mean, how is Looman going to put coin back in our pockets with which to buy cards/packs? Double Coin Weekend? Great. an extra 1500K/game. After maybe 40 of those I can buy three Ultimates. Maybe.

It was to get us to spend and spend big, which most of us did, by the looks of the AH. I just don't see how the game rights itself after this weekend.|||


he did good by not putting any Suh 2.0s in plat packs though...or there would be 8 pages of Mayo rookies and another 300k in everyone's hands...


one of the biggest issues is the 2.0 coach collection...everyone has probably done that 100 times over on a million accounts...that was a FAIL


i pulled suh 2.0 out of a platinum, so he is in there, just not common|||dude EVERYTHING in MUT is "a big ruse to make us desperate for coins"...haha

MUT itself is an attempt to cash in...

that part is obvious



wether or not he made the game better or worse with this promo is NOT obvious...

most people seem happey today, but will they still be happy tomorrow?...we'll see I guess

I'll say this though, pulling a 97 card isn't nearly as thrilling as it used to be...|||


dude EVERYTHING in MUT is "a big ruse to make us desperate for coins"...haha

MUT itself is an attempt to cash in...

that part is obvious



wether or not he made the game better or worse with this promo is NOT obvious...

most people seem happey today, but will they still be happy tomorrow?...we'll see I guess

I'll say this though, pulling a 97 card isn't nearly as thrilling as it used to be...



I agree with everything you've said. It is obvious that the whole point of the mode is to make us buy coins, but prior to today it COULD be done without doing so. I did it and had around 1.3 Mil in coins while accumulating an 89 overall team.

The promo is extremely fun and engaging. People will get very close to filling many collections. However, filling them and collecting the meager coin rewards left after the rookie collection cash has dried up won't do much good. Nor will the Legendary players you get as a result, as none of them are selling anywhere.

I truly think this could be the deathblow to the community we all enjoy, at least for those who aren't able to pump hundreds of dollars into it.|||this all depends on the person. when i pull a 97 now im still truly happy i was missing so many cards in cores cuz ive never got that great pull to sell for 100s of thousands. so to the people who dont have lots of high cards this was great for those that already had expensive rare cards im sorry the market was killed again for awhile|||also i started the weekend off with 100k now ive got over a million so ill still have coins come next week|||ummm... MUT Economy isnt made too last so quit bein a downer. In a year it will be mute with the next Madden and less ppl playin as time goes on would make it harder to get cards wit less packs opened. U worryin about how high its going now but for every high thers a low so when the drought hits you'll be begging for the thing u were down on.|||If people are happy that is all that matters I guess...

it does make me sigh a bit though when you spend a few MONTHS buiding up a 97 team and now I can do it in one day on an alt account real quick just by completeing the coach collection and opening 300k in packs...

this will be like MUT 10 at the end I think...where you can have two 99 teams but one 99 team might be better cause it is all the rare inserts and stuff that are slightly more stacked stat wise...|||I think it just depends on what you're playing for. I don't really care what my OVR is, the good "in-game" experiences have been so few that I don't even care how good my team is. I'm doing MUT solely to fill the collections... probably cuz that's what I spent most of my childhood doing; buying cards, making sets, etc. This has been awesome for that. I've gotten a ton of cards to make some headway on those harder collections, and the cards I need from the AH have been there (except for ODRICK all of a sudden... C'MON!!). The real suckers are the people who are posting those previously rare cards now. Very bad timing. You wanna talk "economy", the supply and demand are out of whack, but that's mostly the fault of the suppliers. But, god bless 'em.|||


I think it just depends on what you're playing for. I don't really care what my OVR is, the good "in-game" experiences have been so few that I don't even care how good my team is. I'm doing MUT solely to fill the collections... probably cuz that's what I spent most of my childhood doing; buying cards, making sets, etc. This has been awesome for that. I've gotten a ton of cards to make some headway on those harder collections, and the cards I need from the AH have been there (except for ODRICK all of a sudden... C'MON!!). The real suckers are the people who are posting those previously rare cards now. Very bad timing. You wanna talk "economy", the supply and demand are out of whack, but that's mostly the fault of the suppliers. But, god bless 'em.


I think a lot of people understand that the cards they are selling will be worth much more in the future but the fact that you can only hold 55 + 10 in pending forces you to throw them out for sale NOW...

or discard them...

OR keep them and stop buying packs...

No comments:

Post a Comment